On 13 June 2018, the Hon Martin Aldridge MLC, asked the Minister for Regional Development for the following information in Legislative Council Question on Notice 1407:
I refer to answer on notice No. 1069 in relation to the Wave Energy Technology project, and I ask:
- was a business case for the project prepared prior to Cabinet approval;
- if not to (a), is a business case being prepared subsequent to Cabinet approval;
- will the Minister table the business case for the project; and
- will the Minister table the FAA executed between the State and Carnegie?
On 23 August 2018, the Minister provided the following answers:
- No. The State Government investment into the Wave Energy Technology Development Project was an election commitment. As it is a research and development project, the standard business case methodology is not relevant. This decision to award the grant to Carnegie followed a rigorous tender process.
- Not applicable.
- I am prepared to table the Financial Assistance Agreement (excluding Schedule 7). Schedule 7, the Proposal is a commercial agreement between the State and a private organisation which would not be appropriate to table in Parliament. I am aware of my obligations under section 82 of the Financial Management Act and will provide the notice required by that section to Parliament and to the Auditor General in accordance with the legislative requirements.
On 29 August 2018, the Auditor General received the Minister’s notification of the decision not to provide the information in accordance with section 82 of the FM Act.