Main Roads should, by December 2016:
- Formalise guidance to regions on assessing and prioritising maintenance needs.
- Establish a consistent approach to calculating backlog to allow comparison over time.
- Apply lessons learned from the Integrated Service Arrangements when developing and managing the new maintenance contracts,
- Standardise the monitoring and evaluation of safety related maintenance tasks identified during crash investigations,
- Identify the maintenance knowledge and skills needed by Main Roads and plan for how current and future gaps will be addressed.
Main Roads should, by July 2017:
6. Implement a comprehensive strategy to address maintenance backlog. The strategy should focus on minimising the whole-of-life costs of the network.